What is Pilates?
Pilates is a complete exercise method that focuses on building your body’s core strength and improving posture through a series of low impact but highly effective stretching and conditioning exercises. Pilates exercises are designed to strengthen and elongate muscles allowing you to develop these muscles without adding bulk, increasing flexibility and agility… and even working muscles that you didn’t know you had!
Pilates helps to increase body awareness and an understanding of how the body works, uniting body and mind and restoring balance and harmony from within.
It is this holistic approach that sets Pilates apart from many other forms of exercise. Osteopaths, physiotherapists and general practitioners recommend Pilates as one of the safest forms of exercise today. Pilates can be beneficial for just about everyone, regardless of age, fitness level or injury.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
General fitness benefits…
- Improves your posture
- Improves mobility and flexibility of the spine
- Delivers muscle tone and flexibility
- Promotes a more efficient and supportive core
- Increases stability for the pelvis and shoulders
- Contributes to the health of joints through improved mobility and support from the surrounding musculature
- Complements training for athletes
General well-being benefits…
- Relieves stress and tension and promotes a feeling of well-being
- Expands body awareness
- Integrates mind, body and spirit
- Improves quality of life
- Makes you look and feel better